Status report

My book commission finally kicks off at the beginning of July when I am expecting the layouts for the illustrations. The story is 'How The Camel Got Its Hump' by Rudyard Kipling. The whole thing is set in the desert, so I am thinking of building an actual stage set rather than creating it digitally.

The twice postponed deadline means my whole summer could be eclipsed by this job. 40-50 illustrations means a lot of work with my style so it will be nose to the grindstone time.

My eldest son has been getting fraught with stress as he approaches the last of his A level exams. He has been pretty unpleasant at times. I made a conscious decision not to bring him up in the oppressive and strict manner that my father applied to me. Maybe the 'hippy' parenting model I adopted was maybe not the best idea. Trying to be both a friend and father is maybe mutually exclusive.

Getting back to the subject of work, the gaps between jobs does feel like a kind of no-mans-land. I wander about trying to pursue creative goals but I do get a bit lost. I have spent weeks working digitally but I have found working soley in this medium erodes time at an alraming rate. I don't think I've found anything that I am really good at yet.

Comments

Sarah said…
Oh Chris you are really good at what you do..hang in there! i'm sure working on your own can feel really lonely at times, some part time freelance work for a studio perhaps?

As for kids..grit the teeth and go with the flow! Being strict doesn't usualy work as they will do what they want anyway. so the hippie laid back approach is a good alternative! x
Chris.P said…
Thanks for the reply Sarah. I think I'm getting a bit restless.

I'm up for busting out some time soon:¬)
Gordon Fraser said…
Excellent news on the book Chrispy! Can't wait to see some WIP (if we're allowed!)